Easy Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

Mixed greens, pears, blue cheese dressing and candied pecan crumbles.
I don't know why, but until recently I never ate blue cheese salad dressing. Vinaigrettes, Caesar, Ranch were all common options for me, but I never ordered blue cheese. Odder still because I love blue cheese in general, would use it in a loads of salads and top with vinaigrettes, but never ate or made creamy blue cheese dressing.



A few months ago, that all changed. I was eating dinner with my hubby at the Ravenous Pig and he asked if I wanted to share a salad. A few minutes later I was eating, no devouring, the most delicious salad I had had in quite some time and it was all about the blue cheese dressing!

From there I sort of fell down the rabbit hole. I started making blue cheese dressing at home, adding it to bitter greens and sweet pears, iceberg wedges, heirloom tomatoes, the list goes on and on. It's simple, easy to make, and so darn delicious.

Iceberg wedges, grape tomatoes, blue cheese dressing and bacon.







Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
This is a great base blue cheese dressing on its own, but feel free to doctor it up as your moods/tastes guide you. I find different cheeses have different strengths, so depending on the brand, you might want more or less cheese in the mix. Lemon juice is a nice addition as well as any number of herbs. In the end make sure you taste and adjust salt accordingly. Again, there is a huge variation in the saltiness of blue cheeses at the grocery store. Nothing is sadder than bland dressing.

Ingredients
4 oz Gorgonzola (or whatever blue cheese you like)
2 tblsps sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh garlic, grated)
Salt/pepper to taste
Finely chopped chives or parsley (optional)

Put the gorgonzola in a small bowl and mash it with a fork. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, stirring well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper then consume with gusto!

Labels: , ,