2010 Domaine Tempier Bandol

In Provence, France, the Peyraud Family is producing some really stunning wines. Founded in 1834, Domaine Tempier uses organic farming, hand harvesting, and family tradition to create a Mourvedre blend that is an iconic expression of the Bandol appellation.

When I first opened the bottle, it seemed tight and closed so I pulled out my decanter and gave the wine some time to open up. In just 15 minutes, the transformation began and continued through the night as I enjoyed the wine.

Blackberry and plums were the first fruits I picked up in the nose. Hints of cranberry were present as well, but this is definitely not fruit driven wine. Dried herbs, earth, dust were ample on the nose, with spice and white pepper coming through. There was solid tannin, well integrated and the wine  had more acidity and minerality coming through than I originally expected. It was a real beauty to drink, very masterful in subtlety and complexity, a real sign of quality and care in winemaking. I enjoyed every last sip and can't wait to drink again.

Labels: , , , ,