No Churn Coffee Ice Cream

How to make no churn coffee ice cream

I have a favorite ice cream recipe. Jeni's Splendid makes the most delicious ice cream I've ever eaten or made, and while the recipe is by no means difficult, it does require an ice cream maker and a bit of a time/mess commitment.

So when I saw Nigella Lawson make her no churn espresso ice cream on tv, I was intrigued. Basically, frozen flavored whipped cream. Simple enough. And no cooking, no churning. Could it be real?



Ingredients
1 can sweetened condensed milk
700 ml heavy whipping cream
2 tblsp finely ground coffee beans
2 tblsp cocoa powder
4 tblsp coffee liquer
Pinch of salt





Ready for simple? Just place all of the ingredients in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip until you get soft peaks. It does take a little time. For the first minute or so I thought it wasn't going to whip up, but then it got going and I got lovely soft peaks. Transfer to containers and freeze for at least 4 hours before eating.


When the time came for eating, it was lovely, intensely flavored with an airy creamy texture that seemed less cold than traditional ice cream. To be perfectly honest - real churned ice cream is better, but for the minimal amount of work, I can see this ice cream recipe getting some serious use in the future.

Labels: