2009 Bogle Vineyards Phantom

Wine Review: 2009 Bogle Vineyards Phantom

Sometimes, a wine so thoroughly surprises me, that I can't help but laugh at myself.


I was introduced to Bogle Phantom at a friend's house. I was skeptical at first, zinfandel, petite sirah and mouvedre, blended and labelled with a whimsical name, it seemed too much like a marketing attempt, instead of a sincere winemaking, but whether they are successful despite the marketing or because of it, the wine is successful nonetheless.

The nose was plum, cedar, vanilla, sweet tobacco and just a little of that Zinfandel jamminess. It is definitely a wine that needs to open up. I decanted and immediately the nose and fruit opened up. The alcohol level is high, 14.5%, but the wine holds it well. And considering this wine retails for $15-$17, it's a lot of wine for the price. Both in body and complexity, you could easily spend twice as much and not get anywhere near as interesting of a wine. The only complaint I have is a little misstep in the finish. The finish is relatively long, but the wood tannin and acidity seem out of balance, which makes the finish not as smooth as I'd like.

I will definitely be enjoying again.


Labels: , , ,